Saturday, April 2, 2011

FAITH, HUMILITY, AND MORALITY

I think that we have lost souls because someone has failed them. Not taught faith, not opened lines of communication. not told them how loved and wonderful they are. Not put the child up on a pedestal so that they may know what it feels like to be important. So their souls have died a little bit a time, leaving them as bitter angry people looking for a reason to release their anger. Go ahead tease me. Make me feel tiny in an effort to make you feel big. Go ahead hate me so I can hate you back. These people lack faith. Faith that there is someone that loves them, needs them and finds them important.

Some people have not been taught humility. They have been put up on such a large pedestal that they think they are the most important person in the world. They think that everyone is beneath them. Not as good as them. Especially those that fall short of perfect. you know the kid with the really thick glasses or the really bad allergies. The fat kid and even the really skinny kid. The kid with the lisp or the nervous child that talks too much. The poor kid who can't wear the name brand clothes. Or even the kid that doesn't want to be like everyone else. The kid that wants to wear plaid with poka dots and does so proudly. You know that kid...they are "different".

The "different child" makes such a great target for those that think they are better then everyone else. But the "different child" is really good at seeing the chinks in the armor of the perfect one. and the perfect one doesn't like it when the different one points them out. So they push and bully and get others to laugh at the different child.

And THEN there are the games, movies and songs that "teach" that when you are angry you can reach out with violence. It makes you feel better. But can we blame the songs, games and TV? I suppose partly. We need to teach morality. Teach the difference between what is right and wrong. I don't think any one of us can sit here and honestly say we have never had the thought "if I could just punch you in the face I'd feel so much better" The difference between thinking and doing is know the difference between what is morally wrong and right.

My own personal faith, humility and morality started with my parents. Knowing that they were there for me. They taught me to put my faith in others but most importantly they taught me to put my faith in God. They taught me that no matter how important I might be, there is always someone more important then I am. They also taught me right from wrong. It started simply by telling me what I could and couldn't do. No it's not ok to hit my brother when I'm angry. Boy did it feel good to haul off and hit him but that didn't make it right. And I admit that I'd push his buttons just so he would push mine back so that I could hit him. Why?? That outlet felt good! But I learned that it was wrong.

I suppose no matter how much we are taught the difference between right and wrong, anger is still around. Sadly gone are the days of school yard fights to iron out the differences between the perfect one and the different one. The times where even we adults silently cheer on the different one to get in a good hit on the perfect one. cheering on the underdog. No one cheers for the underdog any more because now the underdog has a gun and has joined forces with all the other underdogs and we have an army of lost souls looking for revenge.

You see, no matter how perfect you think you are, there will always be someone more perfect then you are which makes you are you ready for this......the different one. Meaning no matter how big you think you are, there will be someone who makes you feel small. Everyone has chinks in their armor. Everyone has things they do or say that makes them different from another. Because we are human and not a single one of us is like another and someone will always find a way to tease you. Which funny enough makes us all the same! Another strange twist is it's usually the most insecure that pray on those that appear to be more insecure then they are in an attempt to make themselves feel better.

It's sad really. That it's hard to see the bigger picture. And that the shape of our current world comes down to a loss of three life lessons: FAITH, HUMILITY, AND MORALITY.

The following is one of my most favorite songs. You might think I am "dating" myself by admitting that this is one of my favorite songs. But I'm not...it was my older brothers songs. I was only 11 when this song was released. :o)

People are People Lyrics
Artist(Band):Depeche Mode

People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

So we're different colours
And we're different creeds
And different people have different needs
It's obvious you hate me
Though I've done nothing wrong
I never even met you
So what could I have done

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

People are people so why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

Help me understand

Now you're punching and you're kicking
And you're shouting at me
I'm relying on your common decency
So far it hasn't surfaced
But I'm sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fist

I can't understand
What makes a man
Hate another man

Help me understand



2 comments:

  1. I have given a lot of thought to this topic in the past. I hope you don’t mind if I share my thoughts. I think wrapped in the faith part is understanding our dignity as a child of God. This is where I have determined that we have lost our way as people. We can't understand that simply because we are a child of God that we have dignity. People are so busy trying to earn/discover dignity and they do this by putting others down in order to elevate themselves. Even adults do this. Another thing adults do, and we are teaching our children to do this, is to constantly strive for the next promotion, a bigger title, another degree, the biggest and best of everything, etc. We teach our children that they have to be the best in whatever sport they are involved in, or earn straight A's. And all this busyness we create in our life because we are so busy trying to earn dignity destroys the family-where children learn values (faith, humility and morality). If only we realized that we don't have to do anything to have dignity, other than recognize that we are children of the King. You can't have more dignity than that!

    ReplyDelete